IndyStar, part of the Gannett Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an aggressive, intellectually curious business reporter to focus on workplace issues, local business trends, major local employers such as pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly and insurer Anthem, and other business general assignment topics. This reporter will be significant in helping tell the story of the post-pandemic recovery, as well as economic inequality. As a major metro and capital city, Indianapolis provides tremendous opportunities for an ambitious business reporter. Expect to work closely with your colleague who covers Growth and Development (including commercial and residential real estate, housing trends) and the statewide economy, and reporters on our government and investigations teams to identify trend, enterprise and watchdog coverage. Beat discipline and organizational skills are essential in order to balance the need for depth and enterprise with the need to remain competitive on local business developments. Sophisticated and urgent content is expected across mobile, desktop, social and print platforms.
Points of focus include:
• Identifying workplace and business trends and finding creative ways to explain them to readers.
• Staying on top of major ongoing workplace local business issues and work with an editor to develop a strategy to prioritize and cover topics.
• Providing impactful accountability journalism on workplace and business trends and topics, with an emphasis on coverage that helps readers understand what employees and employers are confronting in the effort to recover from the pandemic and beyond.
• Producing enterprise, including issue, trend and watchdog stories, by parsing public records and documents, using data and cultivating sources.
• Breaking news quickly and accurately, using the suite of digital tools at your disposal to tell the most effective story to a wide audience.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for telling stories, an eagerness to serve our audience in innovative ways across platforms, a hunger for breaking news, and a desire to learn from a talented group of coaches/editors and reporters in a collaborative culture.
You should be a self-starter comfortable working in multiple types of media: reporting and writing stories; shooting photos and videos with an iPhone; and using social media to build a personal brand, identify stories and serve an audience. You should be nimble and able to tailor your approach to stories to satisfy audiences viewing your work in print or on a desktop browser, mobile device or tablet.
We want an ambitious reporter to produce meaningful journalism that takes time, research and effort to develop. But we also want you to cover the news, efficiently and concisely, and break stories before anyone else. So you need to be comfortable and effective at juggling multiple assignments.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience
• At least 3 years of applicable experience as a reporter/writer
• Ability to shoot and edit photos and videos with an iPhone
• Proficiency on social media, including Facebook and Twitter
• Good time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and with a team
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...