This reporter covers all breaking news with urgency and accuracy with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms, including a heavy focus on video from scenes. This reporter must be competitive and dedicated to accuracy to allow for building a “must-follow” brand for readers interested in breaking news coverage in the market. This requires listening to police scanners, constantly scanning and leveraging social media, making phone calls, seeking out eyewitnesses, tracking court dockets for key cases and demanding public records, including videos. This reporter must be capable of posting error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to social media. This reporter constantly seeks to avoid publishing boring traditional content in favor of ideas that will connect with our 25-45 target audience.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Typical Job Duties:
* Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
* Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
* Works with editor to evaluate metrics, what's working, what's not and to develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
* Collaborate to provide all appropriate elements for stories, such as photos, videos and graphics. Captures basic photos and videos as needed.
* Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
* Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
* Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
* Performs other duties as necessary.
Knowledge and Skills:
* Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
* Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
* Exceptional core journalism skills (reporter, producing, editing).
* Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
* Self-motivation and self-direction.
* Advance knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in public space.
* Photo and video skill.
* Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
* Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
* Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
* Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
* Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
* Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
* Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
* Industry knowledge.
* Organizational skills.
* Command of media law and Principle of Ethical Conduct.
* Minimally supervised.
* Does not have access to or handle confidential information.
* Does not have access to or handle company funds.
Work Experience, Training and Education Necessary For Position:
* Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
* Two years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
* Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
* Must have technical skills - understanding use of metrics, Microsoft Office Suite, videography, and photography.
* Must have required skills - social media, advanced storytelling, advanced analytical ability, interpersonal skills, time management and interpersonal skills.
* Often requires employees to work extended hours, evening, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...